The parlour – from the French word ‘parler’, meaning to talk – was like our living room. It may also have been the sleeping quarters for male servants, whose job it was to protect the house.
The centre of the house, the hall was used as a dining room and kitchen. This was where the household ate and the head of the house received his visitors.
THE BED CHAMBER
The tester bed is marked ‘EP’ and dates to 1592. It is thought to have belonged to Welsh Bishop Edmund Prys, who translated the Psalms into Welsh.
The kitchen’s high ceiling kept it cool. This was good for those who worked there, and for preserving food. Meat was salted or hung to smoke in the chimney cupboard.
The female servants probably slept here. Our Priest Hole, a secret hiding place, was probably added when the building was moved. Catholicism was outlawed for much of the Tudor period.
The solar was traditionally reserved as a private room for family members. It could be accessed from the outside staircase.
YOUNG PERSON’S AUDIO TOUR
Written and performed by students from Kings Norton’s Girls School who take listeners on an alternative view of the house
To download the audio guides, please right-click here and select ‘Save Link As‘.